The concept of a capsule wardrobe seems to be very poplar on social media right now. The term capsule wardrobe refers to a collection of clothing that is composed of interchangeable items. The goal is to maximize the number of outfits that can be created, without owning an excessive amount of clothes.
I’m not sure what your exact definition of “excessive” is, but I’m sure that my closet fails the test. I love to shop and have a bit of anxiety over limiting my wardrobe to only 10-30 items. The whole concept has got me thinking, however, about what closet items I own that I couldn’t live without. I am trying to be more conscious about what I buy, and make sure that each item taking up space in my closet is indeed, something that I love and will wear often.
Here are a few of my closet staples, as well as my co-contributors’. These are the items that we would take with us to a desert island (or playground) and think you should know about!
1. Madewell Whisper Tees – So soft and flattering! I always stock up when they go on sale!
2. Madewell Pendant Necklace – It’s around my neck at least twice a week and easily dresses up any outfit.
3. Madewell 9 Inch Skinny Jeans – These are a mom’s best friend for many reasons. (Can you tell I love Madewell!?). They cover any problem areas and keep you sucked in while still being comfortable! Bonus points for coming in tall sizes!
4. Longchamp Bag Tote Bag – This bag is always by my side. A large tote bag is a must… between holding my work lunch, kid’s toys, laptop, etc, it is always full! I can make anything fit!
5. Zella’s High Waisted Leggings – There are a few pairs of these versatile leggings in my closet. I wouldn’t make it through a weekend without them! They are comfortable and durable!
1. Indigo Rd. Sablena Bootie – These booties are so comfortable and can be worn to work, doing errands around town, or chasing your kids. The taupe color goes with everything and look great with both jeans and black leggings!
2. LOFT Modern Skinny Jeans – The most comfortable jeans ever! They have the perfect amount of stretch! I have a light indigo wash and it is perfect to pair with sweaters and booties for the fall!
3. Old Navy Denim Jacket – There’s nothing easier than a classic jean jacket to throw on over a dress or leggings on a chilly fall day. This one is light and soft!
4. Target Women’s Ribbed Any Day Tank – The perfect long tank for layering!
5. Old Navy EveryWear Slub-Knit Tee for Women – Available in many different colors and patterns. They are easy to fit into any outfit and they come at a great price!
1. Lululemon Wunder Under High Rise leggings – I have a pair in black and gray. These are, hands down, the best leggings ever, and I am a legging expert! They are perfect for working out, wearing under dresses and lounging around. They are high-waisted, which is ideal for postpartum bodies (even if your “baby” is 5) and they wash and wear beautifully.
2. Any Classic Maxi Dress – I think a classic long maxi dress is one of the most versatile pieces and gives you so much bang for your buck. It can be dressed up with heels for a night on the town or throw on a pair of flip flops or flats for a casual playground visit. They are perfect for “mommying” around because you can comfortably sit on the ground with your kiddos. Also, pair it with a nursing tank and you have an ideal postpartum fashionable look. I have a couple, but I would say a solid color in a cut that is figure flattering to your shape would work best. Also, they are great for season transitions because you can easily wear layers with them.
3. Brown Booties – These are simple and good with so many looks. From dresses, to jeans, and skirts, it’s the ideal Fall shoe. I like a small heal for some added sass, but it’s not needed.
4. Halogen Layering Tanks – These tanks are a MUST HAVE for all the ladies! They are perfect under almost everything and you can wear them one way for “v-neck” and one way for “scoop neck.” They are super soft. I wear them as a pajama/lounge top all the time too.