As we head into the holiday season we all look forward to special treats. The flavors that are served at family gatherings or our favorite coffee shops become almost nostalgic. One of my favorites is pumpkin. I absolutely love pumpkin. Anything and everything pumpkin, is wonderful to me, even the word. I often use “pumpkin” as a term of endearment.
I’m fairly confident I started drinking the Pumpkin Spice Latte from Starbucks as soon as it launched. Prior to that, I started experimenting in college by making a pumpkin soup. I was a senior and my roommates and boyfriend at the time, now my husband, thought I was crazy! After much convincing they all tried it and agreed it was delicious.
So began my journey of cooking with pumpkin, it can be used year round, but September through December I really crave it. It’s not just pumpkin pie or pumpkin muffins, but I also enjoy savory meals with this very nutritious fruit! P.S. – the whole pumpkin is edible!
Here are some of my favorite pumpkin recipes and some I hope to make some day:
Savory Pumpkin Recipes
- Slow Cooker Pumpkin Stew with Artichokes and Chicken – A delicious crockpot meal and will still be filling without the chicken.
- Clean Eating Pumpkin Turkey Chili – A great take on chili that is a little bit sweet.
- Pumpkin, Kale, and Sausage Pasta Bake – I ended up making something similar to this with no dairy and it was delicious, my girls gobbled it up.
- Pumpkin Risotto with Seared Scallops – I’d love to make this someday for a special occasion.
Sweet Pumpkin Recipes
- Salted Toffee Pumpkin Spice Fudge – I made this for one of my bake sales, it was really indulgent! I also left off the walnuts and made my own cinnamon chips with white chocolate chips and cinnamon.
- Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Cookie Bar – I’ve been making these over the past few years for new moms and bake sales. Delicious and moist blondie-like bars.
- Flourless Pumpkin Muffins – These tasty muffins are vegan and toddler-approved! You won’t believe what the secret ingredient is!
- Crustless Pumpkin Pie – I decided since it’s just our immediate family during Thanksgiving, we don’t need a crust! One of us agrees, the other does not, but we both agree this hits the spot!
- Pumpkin Pie Smoothie – These are wonderful filling smoothies. If you don’t have time to make one The Well in Wilton also makes a very tasty one.
- Pressure Cooker Pumpkin Steel Cut Oats – I use my Instant Pot for this recipe, but haven’t ventured to try the granola yet. This is also a toddler-approved recipe and it stays for a few days in the refrigerator.
- Pumpkin Cheesecake Trifles – This is a new one I’d love to try, but I’d probably make it in my trifle bowl rather than individual servings.
The pumpkin seeds are also extremely nutritious and bake up easily. Here are 10 recipes for preparing seeds as a snack. I hope you’re willing to try some of these out and enjoy all the benefits pumpkin has to offer.