August means that it is the last month to take advantage of lazy summer days! Can you believe that it’s almost time to get ready for back to school!? While we love the summer, we also love that cooler fall days are on the horizon…just not yet! Here is a list of family fun events to enjoy this month. This is in no way intended to be a comprehensive event guide, so if you have suggestions or any great events that we’ve missed, please leave a comment to let us know!
- All Month :: Find an adventure at Discovery Adventure Park. This month’s activities include Pandamonium on August 16, Glow in the Park on August 17, and Paint in the Park on August 18.
- Saturday, August 25 :: Bring your favorite teddy bear friend to the Beardsley Zoo for Teddy Bear Fest – free admission for children under age 12 who bring their teddy bear to the “Teddy Bear Clinic” and are accompanied by a paying adult. There will be children’s crafts and storytelling focusing on Bear Awareness and facts about real bears.
- Sunday, August 26 :: Have Breakfast with Mickey at Tot Town! Advance tickets are required and space is limited.
- Tuesday, July 31 – Saturday, August 4 :: Enjoy a night out of food, rides and Bingo with the whole family at the Annual Easton Fire Company Carnival.
- Thursday, August 9 :: Enjoy a kids’ comedy show and balloons at Kids First Pediatric Dentistry as part of free Summer Kids First Kids Kamp.
- Friday, August 3 :: Paint rocks at the Monroe Farmer’s Market.
- Saturday, August 25 :: Enjoy a guided night hike and discover owls at New Canaan Nature Center’s Creatures of the Night Hike. Advanced registration required and good for all ages.
- Saturday, August 11 :: Grab some popcorn and enjoy a free 7:00 p.m. movie showing at Edmond Town Hall.
- Thursday, August 2 :: Have outdoor fun and games at Kids First Pediatric Dentistry as part of free Summer Kids First Kids Kamp.
- Thursday, August 2 :: Enjoy free admission and activities at Stepping Stones Museum from 5-8 p.m.
- Thursday, August 16 :: Play with a bubble station and bubble hoop at Kids First Pediatric Dentistry as part of free Summer Kids First Kids Kamp.
- Thursday, August 23 – Sunday, August 26 :: Celebrate all things Greek at the Norwalk Greek Festival. Free admission and valet parking. The fun includes homemade Greek cuisine and pastries, dancing, music, games and rides for children.
- Fridays :: Wine down at Jones Family Farm on Fridays in August.
- Friday, August 3 :: Enjoy a concert and dinner with food trucks at Downtown Sounds Concert Series & Food Trucks as a part of Celebrate Shelton.
- Sunday, August 26 :: Head over to The Giggling Pig for a great end of summer tradition, Family Fun Day. There will be free crafts, family-friendly vendors, ice cream truck, bounce house, and savings on their fall classes.
- Tuesdays, Wednesdays :: Beat the heat every Tuesday and Wednesday and enjoy a free movie at Bowtie Cinemas as part of their Summer Kids Series 2018. The series runs through August 15.
- Sunday, August 12 :: Celebrate National S’mores Day at the Stamford Musem and Nature Center.
- Saturday, August 25 – Sunday, August 26 :: Spend the weekend at Mill River Park at the Hey Stamford! Food Festival for a world class food, beer and music festival.
- Saturday, August 4 :: Make a Splash with Pond Exploration at the Trumbull Nature & Arts Center. Using crayfish traps and pond nets, explore TNAC’s pond to find and learn about the water dwelling sea creatures who make their home in the TNAC pond. Free, ages 7-12, pre-registration required (class size limited).
- Sunday, August 5 :: Explore nature with your little explorers at the Trumbull Nature & Arts Center on a parent and child nature exploration, including a short hike, a stream to cross, and bugs to catch and examine. Free, ages 3-5 with parent, pre-registration required (class size limited).
- Saturday, August 18 :: Go on a night sensory walk at the Trumbull Nature & Arts Center. This is a chance to discover how your senses work differently at night. The walk starts at dusk and you will make observations as darkness slowly comes upon you. As the night falls, you will play games to learn how we see, feel, smell, taste, and hear things differently in the dark. Free, ages 7-12, pre-registration required (class size limited).
- Sunday, August 19 :: Learn more about how nature walks on a Junior Naturalist Exploration at the Trumbull Nature & Arts Center. You will investigate multiple habitats on this exploration adventure. Free, ages 7-12, pre-registration required (class size limited).
- Wednesdays :: Bring the family to Levitt Pavillion for a free children’s concert as part of the Melissa & Doug® Children’s Series. The series runs every Wednesday through August 22.
- Sunday, August 12 :: Enjoy delicious food from a variety of 23 different food trucks, craft beers, live music, kids’ fun park including water slide, craft, and vendor tables and more at Food Truck Festival, organized by Trackside Teen Center of Wilton.
Looking for more fun?
- Check out our ultimate guide to summer in Fairfield County.
- Check out our roundups of local farmers’ markets, fairs and festivals, beaches, outdoor movie nights, summer concerts, theaters, family friendly volunteer/donation opportunities, “mommy and me” classes, family friendly hikes, coffee shops, ice cream shops, playgrounds, and restaurants where kids eat free.
Did we miss your favorite activity? Please leave a comment below or e-mail Aarika at [email protected]