Twenty years ago, on Valentine’s Day, I was in high school. Then, I lived in upstate New York, so it was no surprise we had a snow day. Little did I know at the time, this would be the first Valentine’s Day with my forever Valentine. Yes, we are high school sweethearts, and I’m proud of it. So many people said it couldn’t last, yet here we are.
Like any couple, we’ve had our good times and our bad, but the good has always outweighed the bad. How can that be? Here’s a list, in no particular order, of the things that I believe have helped our relationship last through two decades (and counting):
- Communication – Keeping an open and honest dialogue in the day-to-day and making sure each other’s feelings are heard and understood. Sure, that doesn’t always come easy, but it’s important to reflect and work through things together.
- Making time for each other – Date nights, even two kids later! It has been essential to carve time out for us without the littles needing something every few minutes (or seconds!). This year to celebrate, we’re going to plan a day date while visiting our family, so a babysitter isn’t needed.
- Allowing each other time for themselves – I’ve found in our twenty years that it’s also important to have our own interests and hobbies that we can enjoy. For me, that can be a mom’s night out, getting to school meetings, MOMS Club meetings, and time to write for FCMB. For him, that means working on his motorcycle and getting out for rides as weather allows, and even time to play video games.
- Commitment – My husband and I were together ten years before engagement and marriage. If that’s not a commitment, I’m not sure what is (haha). We supported each other through our college years (at separate schools) and moved to Fairfield County when we graduated.
- Showing appreciation for one another – I’ve learned through the years that it’s important to show appreciation for your partner for all the things (big or little) that they do.
- Love – The greatest of all these is the love we’ve shared in 20 years. I honestly wouldn’t be the person I am today without his love and support through all these years.
♥ I love you, my forever Valentine. ♥