Summer is finally here! Since I am a teacher this is my favorite time of year because I get 9 whole weeks of being a stay-at-home mom. I no longer have to miss out on art projects, gym class, play dates, etc.
Over the last few days (okay, maybe weeks) of school I was daydreaming about all the fun things I was looking forward to doing with my 3 year old and 1 year old twins this summer. Online I’ve come across several different summer bucket lists for families to experience this summer. Just google “summer bucket list” and about a million ideas pop up. There are so many unique ideas that I would never have imagined doing.
BUT, there are a lot of things that I would love to be able to do JUST FOR ME! Just typing that phrase made my heart skip a beat. And I will admit, at first I deleted it…and then decided to retype! It sounds so selfish. I knowingly entered the world of motherhood, and knew that I would need to put the needs of my children first. I even willingly took fertility drugs knowing that there was an 8% chance of conceiving twins (of course I would be in the 8%!). So I can’t complain that being a mom is hard…even though it is! However, I also know that if I don’t take the time to remind myself that I am much more than just a mommy, I will slowly fade into one unhappy person. In order to make my summer break even more enjoyable for my family I decided I would make two bucket lists. One for our family and one JUST FOR ME.
1. Get a manicure and pedicure AND accept the offer of an additional 10 minute massage.
2. Go to the beach – even if it’s just for 30 minutes – by myself and read a book. (Before having children this was my all-time favorite thing to do in the summer!)
3. Drink my morning coffee while it’s still hot… I would even settle for lukewarm.
4. Go to the movies. Whether it is with my husband, girlfriends, or even with my 3 year old son. I can’t even remember the last time I saw a movie in a theater. I also plan on getting the largest size popcorn (with lots of butter) just for me…no sharing!
5. Go on a date with my husband. I want to get my hair and makeup done, put on a new dress and go out for a fancy meal. I want to put forth the effort that I used to when we were first married.
6. Spend one-on-one time with each of my 3 children. I want to give my oldest son the attention he deserves, even if it’s just the two of us at home playing trucks. I also need to do something special with each of my twins. At 1 year old they have yet to be apart from one another.
7. Make time to exercise daily. I need to stop making excuses!
8. Keep a journal. I have always enjoyed writing, and through FCMB I am able to record my thoughts and ideas about being a mom. I would love to just jot down a few things that stand out from each day that are only meaningful to me. The hysterically random things my oldest son says, the embarrassing shopping trip, etc. The moments, both good and bad, that I never want to forget.
9. Have a Saturday night play date and stay up past 9PM. And possibly get Daddy to let me sleep in the next morning???
10. Let the kids have a sleepover with Grammy and Poppy….if they ever offer again!
What would you love to do JUST FOR YOU this summer?